The Impact of Migraine: Understanding Disability and Seeking Relief

The Impact of Migraine: Understanding Disability and Seeking Relief


Migraine is a well-known condition that significantly affects the lives of those who experience it. However, many healthcare systems around the world still struggle to recognize the true burden and socioeconomic impact of this condition. In an effort to raise awareness and bring about change, various organizations, including the World Headache Alliance, the International Headache Society, the European Headache Federation, and the World Health Organization, joined forces under an initiative called Lifting The Burden. Their goal was to shed light on the scale and scope of migraine and advocate for better understanding and management.

The Global Prevalence of Migraine:

Migraine is the third most common disease globally, with an estimated prevalence of 14.7% in both genders. It is believed to affect over 20% of people at some point in their lives, yet it continues to be underdiagnosed. Migraine does not show clear geographical patterns or consistent trends over time. Prevalence rates vary across different regions, with higher rates reported in Central and South America. In the United States alone, approximately 1 in 7 Americans experience migraines annually.

Disability and Migraine:

Migraine may not be fatal, but it ranks as the sixth highest cause of disability worldwide in terms of years lived with disability (YLDs). Among women, it is the second leading cause of YLDs among neurological disorders. Migraine attacks in women tend to last longer and have a higher risk of recurrence, leading to increased disability and longer recovery periods. Surprisingly, migraine ranks among the top 10 causes of disability in every country included in the Global Burden of Disease database, dispelling the misconception that it primarily affects industrialized nations. Migraine's impact on daily activities extends beyond the days of actual attacks, with individuals experiencing symptoms for a significant portion of the year.

Different Types of Migraine:

Migraine is classified into two main subtypes: migraine without aura and migraine with aura. Migraine without aura accounts for approximately 70% of attacks, while migraine with aura accounts for the remaining 30%. These subtypes have different characteristics and may have distinct underlying causes. Episodic migraine refers to 1-

14 headache days per month, while chronic migraine involves 15 or more headache days per month for more than 3 months. Chronic migraine is associated with greater disability compared to episodic migraine.

Understanding Risk Factors:

The exact cause of migraines remains elusive, but a combination of genetic and environmental factors is thought to contribute. Genetic factors account for about 60% of the clinical features, while nongenetic factors play a significant role as well. Triggers such as hormonal fluctuations, comorbid diseases, sensory stimuli, fatigue, and lifestyle changes can precipitate or worsen migraine attacks. Comorbid conditions, including allergies, respiratory illnesses, cardiovascular disorders, psychiatric disorders, and obesity, can also influence the risk and severity of migraines.


Migraine is a prevalent condition that significantly impacts individuals' lives and contributes to disability globally. It affects people of all ages, genders, and socioeconomic backgrounds. The recognition and understanding of the burden of migraine are crucial for healthcare providers to provide effective management and support to patients. While advancements in therapies are needed, it is equally important to address the socioeconomic impact and improve the quality of life for those living with migraines. By raising awareness, promoting research, and fostering better understanding, we can work towards reducing the disability caused by migraines and improving the lives of millions of individuals worldwide.

Back to blog